Cover Crops have become a necessary step in the recycling and production of nitrogen and organic soil matter. The use of biologicals in accomplishing nitrogen fixation and production, doesn’t take a rocket scientist to realize the two working in tandem can be anything but beneficial for both the soil and crop. After years of Research and Development, ABM™ has released Graph-Ex SA™ for Cover Crops. In just a short time, the response has exceeded our expectations.
We’ve put together this FAQ sheet to answer many of the commonly asked questions:
What is Graph-Ex SA™ for Cover Crops?
Graph-Ex SA™ for Cover Crops contains a specially formulated blend of Rhizobia specific for legume cover crops within a talc-graphite carrier and the added benefits of the iGET™ technology.
What are Rhizobia and how do they work?
Rhizobia are soil bacteria that establish inside the root nodules of legumes to fix nitrogen for the plant. Rhizobia is unable to independently fix nitrogen and requires a plant host.
Our proprietary Rhizobia for legume cover crops is specific to these crops in helping the plant to establish nitrogen-fixing nodules that will convert the nitrogen to a useable form for the plant. The Rhizobia in Graph-Ex SA™ for Cover Crops is a different type of Rhizobia than is used for soybeans.
What is the iGET™ technology and how does it work?
The proprietary and patent pending biologicals first colonize the crop root system. Their association with the plant induces gene expression and changes in plant physiology to enhance multiple biochemical pathways. Crop stresses such as disease and dry weather can be alleviated, and often systemically – so that root colonization by the seed treatment can affect the physiology of the whole plant, even foliar/leaf biology.
What cover crops can be treated with Graph-Ex SA™ for Cover Crops?
Graph-Ex SA™ for Cover Crops, under proper handling, storage, application and soil conditions, will inoculate these crops:
- Peas, Lentils, Vetches & Faba Beans Austrian winter pea, chickling vetch, faba bean, field pea, flat pea, garden pea, hairy vetch, lentil, manantha vetch, narrowleaf vetch, purple vetch, rough pea, specter pea, sweet pea, tangier pea, trapper pea;
- Cowpeas & Lespedeza Acacia, adzuki bean, alyce clover, asparagus-bean, black eyed peas, centrosema, common lespedeza, cowpea, desmodium spp., hairy indigo, jackbean, jointvent (aeschynomene), Korean lespedeza, kudzu, mung bean, partridge pea, peanut, pigeon pea, pink eyed purple hull pea, sericea lespedeza, siratro, slender blushclover, sunn hemp, tepary bean, velvet bean, wild indigo, winged bean, winged crotalaria;
- True Clover Alsike clover, Ball Clover, Berseem clover, Bigflower clover, Carolina clover, Cluster clover, Rabbitfoot clover, Hop clover, Hungarian clover, Ladina, Large hop clover, Persian clover, Puff clover, Red clover, Seaside clover, Small hop clover, White clover, Zigzagg clover, Crimson clover;
- Grasses Treats all grasses grown for grain and forage.
Can I use Graph-Ex SA™ for Cover Crops on my tillage radishes?
How do I apply Graph-Ex SA™ for Cover Crops to my seed?
Graph-Ex SA™ for Cover Crops is a planter box treatment that can be added right at the planter just before planting. You will add 4 oz for every 100# of seed or 40 oz for every 1,000# of seed added to your drill.
As an added benefit utilizing a talc/graphite formulation as the carrier helps to lubricate your planter equipment and improves seed flowability. This is important, as it will minimize seed hang-ups in your equipment and reduce wear and tear.
After Graph-Ex SA™ for Cover Crops is applied to the seed, when does it need to be planted?
Once you have applied Graph-Ex SA™ for Cover Crops to your seed it is best to plant it immediately. Occasionally, delays can be expected in farming, however, after 48 hours you will need to retreat your seed.
How much does Graph-Ex SA™ for Cover Crops cost?
Typically ABM’s™ suggested retail price for Graph-Ex SA™ for Cover Crops is around $4.46/50# unit of seed. However, prices may vary.
How is Graph-Ex SA™ for Cover Crops packaged?
Graph-Ex SA™ for Cover Crops is packaged in two convenient package sizes:
- 4 oz packets – One packet will treat 100# of seed. One case contains 12 packets that will treat a total of 1200# of seed.
- 40 oz pails – One pail will treat 1,000# of seed. One case contains 6 pails that will treat a total of 6000# of seed.
What if I don’t use all of my Graph-Ex SA™ for Cover Crops that I purchased this year?
Graph-Ex SA™ for Cover Crops has a shelf life equivalent to one planting season. Each package is stamped with its expiration date.