SabrEx™ for Corn is an inoculant, or seed treatment, applied to the seed before planting. The seed treatment is a unique formulation of three (3) carefully selected, specific, patent pending, proprietary biological fungi strains called Trichoderma.
SabrEx™ for Corn can be used on commercial corn, sweet corn and popcorn.
Trichoderma is a fungi that is found in soils all over the world. There are thousands of known Trichoderma strains but only a few are beneficial to plants. Trichoderma colonizes with the plants root system and develops a symbiotic relationship with the plant. The Trichoderma feed from the starches and sugars produced by the plant while exuding beneficial enzymes and proteins for the host plants use. As a result the plant produces a larger root system and improves its nitrogen and water use efficiency, thus resulting in higher yields.
ABM™, in working with Dr. Gary Harman of Cornell University, has developed the technology to isolate and identify specific strains of beneficial Trichoderma. Once the strains are identified and isolated, ABM™ tests each strain with various crops to determine which crop receives the most benefit from each strain of Trichoderma. After thorough testing, a formulation is produced and brought to market to benefit farmers.
Over the past 3 years, in over 181 trials, SabrEx™ for Corn has been averaging 7.97 bushels/acre higher yield than untreated plots. In 2012, even with the drought, we are seeing a higher yield response. With today’s corn market at an average of $7.00/bushel, a farmer can typically see a net return on investment of up to $51/acre.
SabrEx™ for Corn is available in two different formulations:
- SabrEx™ for Corn PB is a planter box treatment that can be added just before planting at the planter box. It consists of a talc/graphite formulation as the carrier for the Trichoderma. You will add .5 oz. of SabrEx™ for Corn PB for every 80K kernel unit of seed you add to your planter. Make sure to mix the SabrEx™ for Corn PB into the seed corn thoroughly. It should be noted; The talc/graphite formulation also helps to lubricate your planter equipment and also helps provide seed flowability. SabrEx™ for Corn PB will not replace your talc or graphite that you’ve been using, however it will complement your treatment.
- SabrEx™ for Corn HC is a high concentrate formulation specifically formulated for commercial seed treaters and seed companies. It has a low application rate of 0.25 oz./80K kernels of seed. Once on the seed, SabrEx™ for Corn HC will not expire for two planting seasons. Applying SabrEx™ for Corn HC to the seed in the bag is a huge convenience to the grower. The farmer will simply add the seed to the planter and plant as usual.
- SabrEx™ for Corn LQ is a liquid high concentrate formulation for commercial treaters only. It has a low application rate of 0.16 fl/oz./80k unit of seed. One 32 oz. jug will treat 200 units of corn. Once on the seed, SabrEx™ for Corn LQ will not expire for two planting seasons. Applying SabrEx™ for Corn LQ to the seed is a convenience to the grower. Refer to the SabrEx™ for Corn LQ label for specific rates and directions for use.
Typically ABM’s™ suggested retail cost for SabrEx™ for Corn is around $4.23/acre when planting at a rate of 28,000 plants per acre. Prices may vary. Cost per acre will vary with different planting rates.
- SabrEx™ for Corn PB is packaged in 12 oz. pouches that include a measuring scoop. One pouch will treat 24 units of seed. One case contains 6 pouches that will treat a total of 144 units of seed.
- SabrEx™ for Corn HC is packaged in 10 oz. pouches that will treat 40 units of seed. There are 6 pouches in a case that will treat a total of 240 units of seed.
SabrEx™ for Corn PB, HC and LQ have a two-planting season expiration date both on the seed and in the container. You will need to store the unused product in a cool dry place until next season. Each package is stamped with its expiration date.